Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Did Somebody Say Vogue Knitting LIVE?

I am currently sitting at Mapps Coffee and Tea in the U of M neighborhood of Minneapolis, and I am thinking that today might be the first day in ages where my overwhelm actually feels welcome. Generally...and correct me if I'm wrong...when you have too much to do, you want to crawl into a hole and do absolutely nothing until enough time passes where all of your deadlines have crushed your reputation. Or you have the intent of doing one thing at a time, but instead you start six different things and finish zero or them.

Or...you look at your to-do list and you knit.

Right. So today is the first day where I feel like I did the right thing and actually tackled the to-do list instead of knitting, crawling into a hole, or starting everything.

Basically, I make about $250,000 a year and have no kids and no spouse, so my job is to use that money and my reach to promote the virtue of helping others. My arm of that virtue, of course, tends to be knitting. So get ready, because I have some ideas for you.

Tonight, the Windy City Knitting Guild meeting is focused on collecting hats for newborns and preemies...in red yarn, because it's the American Heart Association promotional color...to promote awareness of congenital heart defects. The drive is connected to a dozen or so hospitals in the area, so babies you may end up knowing when they come into the world could have a hand-made hat from you.

Then, Vogue Knitting LIVE is this weekend. You can help Save the Children by making a sweater (more on that later), bring a preemie or newborn red hat to the Windy City Knitting Guild booth, or just head to the Marketplace and see what other charitable ventures the vendors are supporting. It is not to be missed.

I am in the process of starting a non-profit geared toward the Safe Haven Laws, but I need some help. If you like to knit blankets, or if you are a politician or member of law enforcement or fire rescue, or you work in a hospital or church, or you work with anyone from DCFS, please drop me a line. If you know anyone in the above organizations, please forward on my contact info.

Other than that, hmm...I am driving quite a bit. More driving and less knitting. The good news for you knitters is that I am plopping Cascade Yarns into the hands of the owners of your local yarn shops, so you will have plenty to choose from the next time you shop. Buy Cascade Yarns, especially if you live in IL, WI, MN, ND, or SD. Then, I can eat.

Have a great day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment