Sunday, October 21, 2012

The October Blahs

Good morning, everyone...I sit in my living room, watching Bluto destroy his rope toy (this is constant, actually), listen for Penny (and get concerned when I don't hear her), and wonder what the heck I should do today.  See, I have a list.  It involves getting a new lease to one of my tenants, calling a mortgage guy, following up on a few key documents, and maybe cleaning or something.  Or not.

But I'm feeling blah.  Tomorrow night, I flip to the overnight shift and I'm not very happy about it.  I was joking with my friend Elizabeth yesterday that the good news is that my days are now ALWAYS free, but I'm just not sure I'm cut out for working overnights.  I thought I was; I spent a week doing it at the beginning of the month.  But now I'm questioning.

The good news, and this is relative, is that I finally have a knitting project to leave in the car.  After the washcloth was done, I have been staring at an empty passenger seat while waiting for the Bensenville train to pass at 8:34pm every evening I left work.  Now that I'm on overnights, I'm likely to catch that f***ing thing TWICE.  But all is well...I'm going to make baby blankets out of acrylic yarn and give them away!  Here's how you do it:

Cast on 8 stitches to a set of four double-points.
Rnd 1:  K1, yo, K1
Rnd 2:  Purl
Rnd 3:  (K1, yo, K to last st on needle, yo, K1) 4x
Rnd 4:  Purl

Repeat Rounds 3 and four until you need to graduate to a circular needle.  Place a marker at the beginning of the round, and then three other markers in a different color than the first one to mark the end of where the needles had been.  Then repeat the following two rows until your blankie is the size you want:

Rnd 1:  (K1, yo, K to last st before marker, yo, K1) 4x
Rnd 2:  Purl

I haven't bound off yet, obviously, but I'm thinking a normal knitted bind-off would be find.  It's a garter-stitch blankie, for crap's sake.

On the other hand, the edge could be the most interesting part of the blankie!  Crochet picot?  Ruffle?  Scrap yarn with a Victorian lace motif?  Whatever!



I also have all of these Teeny Jesus photos to upload...I'm going through a phase where I only do what I need to do to get through the day, and then I THINK about all of the stuff that needs to get done.  Not very productive but I do think it's making me smarter, no?

So I'm feeling positive some days, and damn-near hopeless the next (don't call an intervention hotline...I don't mean it that way).  Today I'm feeling hopeful.  And...this coming weekend is Vogue Knitting LIVE.  I wrote an article about it and got a message back from their PR person saying "Great article!  Your press pass will be at Registration..." I'm so starstruck it's not even funny.  Dorky, I know, but this is like a Who's Who in the Knitting World, and I'm incredibly fortunate to be a part of it.  Even got my new business cards!

Have a good day...please shoot me an email with what you're working on in the changing weather...as an inquiring mind, I want to know.  Or is it enquiring?  I'll have to look that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment