Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Third Vogue LIVE Hangover

~~phew~~

So, the coordinators of Vogue Knitting LIVE invited me back this year to cover their event, so just in case I wasn't finally starting to feel better about myself after a non-stop year of loss, this did it. I feel since I am a guest of the event and my job is to write about it, well, the least I can do is make sure readers who can't make it feel like they are there, and readers who are there feel the excitement I do over the parts they hadn't seen yet.

So here are...ahem...all eleven stories I wrote about Vogue LIVE this year.  In one place, even!  And in chronological order, because I'm sort of OCD that way...



One of my favorite parts of the show is seeing people I don't get to see very often, like Vicki Howell (one of the nicest in the business) and owner of Wool and Company Lesley Edmonson (one of the other nicest in the business).  I saw Sam Boice, owner of The Wool Dispensary, and pulled out my pink socks that I am making with her yarn to show her.  She was pleased...I told her I am going to try and make her famous with the design and I'm not a hundred percent sure she took me seriously...

So then...I owe a friend a favor.  Long story short, I bought a property this summer that I now affectionately call The Money Pit. I have a new friend who is an HVAC guy, and he's also a professional vampire so I hear from him at four in the morning pretty regularly.  He won't let me pay him for some work he has done for me, so I asked if he would like me to make him a pair of socks.  He said sure, and that his favorite color is green, so I sent him a photo asking which one is his preference:


Then, of course, I had to come to terms with the fact that perhaps I have a bit too much sock yarn.  BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR FRIEND WHO IS ALSO AN HVAC GUY SAVES YOU A THOUSAND BUCKS ON A SERVICE CALL AND DESERVES WAY MORE THAN HAND-KNITTED SOCKS AS PAYMENT BUT HE REFUSES TO EVEN LET YOU FREAKING BUY HIM DINNER.

So anyway, he chose one and I now have a project lined up to counterbalance the Vogue sweater when I'm done with Sam Boice's socks.  But then I saw him later that night and he decided instead that he wanted felted slippers.  Which is good for me for two reasons:  it means he's FINALLY willing to cash in the favor and hey...bigger yarn bigger needles.  He actually stopped by my work to bring me these:


I of course don't have a vase lying around the office, so I had to make do with what I have.  But see...when you're crafty you can compensate in a clever way.  Like rinsing out your Diet Coke bottle and replacing it with clean water for roses.  Sheesh.

The flip-side is that a select few people at work saw him walking around before they saw me, then made the connection AFTER they saw me, and I'm the target for giggly tabloid gossip now.  I'll take that any day over the opposite, though..."Ughh...I hate working for Amy because she's such a..._____." Whatever their thoughts may be.

I am so appreciative that Vogue Knitting LIVE asked me to cover their event, and based on their re-tweets and the sort, they seem pleased with the coverage as well.  My story on Josh Bennett has almost two hundred likes on facebook...I'm quite proud of that.  I mean let's face it...I don't write about a professional sports team.  So if vibes are positive, whether there are five or 5,000, I SHOULD be pleased.  Happiness!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I didn't know the HVAC Vampire was the bringer of roses. Dude is crushing on Amy ::nods approvingly:: And Sam from the Wool Dispensary? She is 10 kinds of awesome! I had a last minute design and not enough yarn. She came through for me!

    BTW, I'm gonna hold you to the offer to hang out more than twice a year. :-)

    ReplyDelete