Sunday, June 19, 2011

Speaking of prayer shawls...

So, I started browsing my "stash" (see previous posts) for yarn that would make a good prayer shawl, because the LYS at my "weekend haunt" (which is Katy, Texas for those of you who don't know me), Yarntopia, is collecting prayer shawls for, I think, a hospital.  I don't know all of the details...all I know is that I hear "prayer shawl" and I think of all of the people who can benefit from one.

I found some old Joann Sensations boucle that feels wonderful when knitted, despite the non-animal and non-plant fiber content.  Two days ago, I whipped out the size 11 circular needle (shawls take a lot of stitches, so it's better to use a circular and just knit flat) and cast on.  I'm only about ten rows in, but I can already tell it will be perfect.  Of course, half of what makes prayer shawls perfect is the thought that goes into them.

Which got me thinking.

I'm going to do some research for my next article for Examiner.com this week.  When I was mentally plowing through what yarn I owned to make a cozy prayer shawl, I got to thinking about the box next to my dining room table.  This box is full of all of the half-balls of yarn I've had left over from other projects, and I usually whip them out when I need to practice a stitch or just want to put some color into something.  If I'm feeling extra-saucy, I might make a washcloth or coin purse, or eyeglass case...you know...something teeny and not yarn-intensive.  I think I'm going to call the hospitals in Chicago and find out what their requirements are for shawl donations including fiber content and allergens, and then I was thinking of stash-busting a mismatched prayer shawl pattern for kids.  Who needs a bona fide woobie when you can be wrapped in something all yarny that someone knitted with love?

On the other hand, it may be good to have both the woobie and the shawl.

Anyway, be on the lookout for the article...I'll do the research and let all of you know what I find out.  In the meantime, if you would like to knit a prayer shawl or lap blanket for the donation in Katy, let me know and I'll send you the address to the Yarntopia (although they do have a website, blog, facebook page, etc.).  I'll get back with you as well about the kids' shawls...what a fun way to get rid of old yarn!

Goodnight, and thank you for reading about my silly ideas as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment