Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Still Too Cold for the Bike

So here I am, having coffee in Deerfield and visiting a friend, when I realized I had to, HAD TO, finish an article I've been thinking about for four weeks or so.  Turns out I have a faithful reader in California who is a newer back-to-knitting knitter, and she wanted to know what she could knit for her teen.  I consulted the local experts, who were more than happy to provide suggestions:

http://www.examiner.com/knitting-in-chicago/chicago-area-experts-weigh-on-what-to-knit-for-your-teen

And for those who don't know me, yes that's me in the photo.  I couldn't find a stock photo of an angst-ridden teen wearing anything knitted.  I figured since I look like everygirl and my face is obscured, it wouldn't be so bad.  Then, I pulled up the article on the finished page (it looks different from the page where I actually write and edit the stuff) and realized I look like a cutting-edge, flaming-hot, ridiculous narcissist.  Luckily, I'm not one, as illustrated by the fact that I'm about 64.48% embarrassed.

Especially since I post the articles on all of the facebook pages, twitter profiles, etc. of anyone to whom I link in the article, and within an hour, over three dozen people have "liked" it on their facebook pages.  Oh well...too late to edit at this point.

It could be worse...I could have protruding ribs like a REAL model.  Or I could be Bluto, looking as angst-ridden as any teen when he wears the same scarf:


He has no idea hot awesome he looks in "lettuce."

Anyway, since I'm just waiting on my tax return, I've decided to put all chores and projects on hold and just knit until the cows come home.  That's not bad, right?  I also would just like to say thanks to the local yarn shops in Chicago...I understand that knitting is a niche-hobby.  My articles will never be read by hundreds of thousands because...well...I don't write the weather column.  But at the same time, those who DO read my articles and share my interest in knitting are some of the nicest, most well-rounded and interesting people I have ever met.  There is something to be said for going into a specialty store and knowing that not only do the associates not get paid commission, they care about you as a person as much as they care about your purchase.  While talking to the yarn store employees about what to knit for your teen, the ladies at Knitche were clamoring to show me what they were talking about regarding looking at the "cool kids" stores before choosing your pattern.  What fun!

And it was 29 degrees this morning when I left...perfectly lovely weather (especially since it's sunny, so by the middle of the day you feel the chill and heat at the same time), but I can't have my first bike ride of the year be in weather that wears out my lungs too quickly.  I need it above 55 degrees or so.  But once it's that warm, watch out, because the next step is figuring out how to knit and ride at the same time...

No comments:

Post a Comment