Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Transform the Way You Look at Your Stash

Ooh...I just sounded like an infomercial!  Here's why...the last three Knit Tips Tuesdays have been about converting patterns from one yarn gauge to another.  It will change the way you look at the yarn you purchased and didn't know what to do with (very Chicago of me, ending a clause with a preposition):

http://www.examiner.com/knitting-in-chicago/knit-tips-tuesday-yarn-math-103

I'm currently at a Starbucks helping out a friend, and Toni Kukoc walked in the door (google him if you don't know who he is).  What's funny is when he was walking toward the door, I thought, "Wow...he's going to hit his head on the door on the way in!"  He did not, however...according to the employees at Starbucks, he comes in two or three times per day.  I assume he got the hang of the door (and most others, as his height isn't new to HIM) early on.

So, I actually had two knitting samples in my bag this morning, and I'm sitting near the door.  All of a sudden, I realized I have this cashmere lace thing in there and that would be all I need to keep the chill off my neck.  And sure enough, I throw the thing on and all of a sudden I'm being looked at differently.  You know...like a GIRL.

Because let's face it...I'm not exactly a cashmere-lace kind of girl.

BUT...I am an openwork kind of girl, and I ran across this pattern and thought to myself, "Hey!  I can do that in my sleep AND use an employer-approved color to look professional!  It will be all about the accessorizing, but it can certainly be done:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60626A.html

So yeah...now that I'm back to being "ahead" and the pattern for last month has been sent out, my .pdf software is Kopa-Zetic, and I'm almost done with my chunky sweater, it's time to start planning!  Not that I didn't have sixty things already planned, of course.

Incidentally, I was at a bar near my house, watching the Blackhawks game a few weeks ago.  All I brought with me was a sleeve from the chunky sweater, and I had an empty chair on each side of me.  Now granted, I was watching the game and was having quite an easy time knitting stockinette stitch without looking, but the owner of the bar asked me if I was making a sweater.  I said, "Well, technically I'm just making a sleeve right now."  I think I came across WAY more bitchy than I meant to.  Next time, I'll just do the hockey-fan thing of, "WAIT FOR A WHISTLE BEFORE YOU TALK TO ME!"  I actually think he would have appreciated that way more.

No comments:

Post a Comment